There were four doors to enter in Meran old town, nowadays there are only three left. The fourth, Ultner door, that led to the valley with the same name, does not exist anymore since 1181, while the others are still the entrances from the river, from Bolzano and from Vinschgau valley.
Porta Passiria, where there are still some relics of the old walls of the city, is the way to Tyrol region. The door is named after the river Passirio, a tributary of river Adige. Over the river has been built some nice bridges such as the one of the Posta and Ponticello di Ferro (1617), the oldest of the city. Porte Bolzano leads to the river where you can admire some of the most outstanding places of the city such as Kurhaus, Gilf Promenade, mount San Zeno and Torre delle Polveri.
Do not miss Via dei Portici in the very centre of the old town, that dates back to 13th century. It is 400 metres long what means that it is the longest covered street of Alto Adige. This wonderful promenade is embellished with small balconies and bay windows overlooking the crowded streets, with the bright colours of the two or three floors buildings and with the attention paid to blend the shops with medieval architecture style.
Via dei Portici connects piazza del Grano, where in the past there was the city market, to one of the most important attractions of Meran old town: the church of San Nicolò . It was built between 14th and 15th century and is one of the oldest examples of Tyrol Gothic architecture. Its main feature is the steeple, more than 80 metres tall, the tallest of the region.